Artist "Koffin Kats"
Released in 2004
Rating: 6.5/10
Track listing:
- Mors Ex Supera
- Graveyard Tree
- Red Alert
- V8 Nightmare
- Koffin Kat Rock
- Sleep
- One Revived
- Needles and Blades
Cons: Waaaaaaaaaay too short, redundant drums, a bit cliche'.
This is the first Koffin Kats release and it is a good EP. It clocks around 22 minutes, and leaves you wanting more. Standing alone I would probably rate this album higher, but compared to the rest of their body of work this album pales in comparison.
The production quality of the album is fairly hi-fi and stands true to how the boys sound live.
All the tracks are catchy, and they bump and pop your whole body. "Mors Ex Supera" is a fun instrumental that has a sample from Looney Tunes in it. "Graveyard Tree" is the most popular song off of the album although it is not my personal favorite, if you see them live you are almost guaranteed a performance of this one. "Red Alert" is a solid punk track about about an alien invasion. "V8 Nightmare" plays like a sequel to the Stray Cats "Race With the Devil" and is also a standard of their live show.
Easily the best track off of the album is "Needles and Blades" it swings slow at first and hammers in fast during the chorus.
I have listened to this album a lot and I really like it however the middle feels a bit redundant. Vic's slapping sounds great and clicks right off the fret board, Tommy's guitar is raging and twangs with slapback, and the drums... well they keep the time. The body of this album is very solid, however it feels a tad formulaic and the composition of tracks 3 to 7 doesn't vary much.
The lyrical content of the self titled is fairly standard for the genre softcore necrophilia, alien attacks, hotrods... ya' know the usual.
I would highly recommend this to genre fans because it is a particularly solid example of the scene, however if I were trying to turn a non-genre fan on to the Koffin Kats I would probably show them a later album.
Grab a PBR it's party time!
No comments:
Post a Comment